What is the difference between Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and other Martial Arts?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu means Gentle Art. The main goal is not to hurt the opponent, but to control and neutralize them with techniques based on simple leverages and counters. It’s the most complete martial arts that ever exist. It teaches the student how to move and fight from his feet and from the ground, unlike any other martial arts. Here are some high lights:
Gentle Art: Jiu-Jitsu is one of the oldest form of Martial Art. It literally means Gentle Art in Japanese. All our techniques are based on leverage, controlling the opponent with minimum effort and maximum of efficiency.
A Complete Martial Art: While other Martial Arts are purely ‘on their feet’, BJJ teaches you stand up defenses of any kind of attackes, take downs AND ground techniques. BJJ is a very well rounded Martial Art that develops on you a complete self-defense.
The Best Self-Defense It’s proven: more than 90% of the fights on the street end up on the ground and with a high level of contact. And that’s why BJJ has one of the best self defense techniques (specially for women), because:
-It’s a full contact Martial Art;
-It does not relay on strength; and
-Its focus is on controlling your opponent on the ground.
BJJ is Not Only About Forms – Jiu-Jitsu is a very dynamic Martial Art. It’s not only about memorizing, but also about timing your reaction to your opponent’s.
Chess With Your Body Jiu-Jitsu makes you think ahead. It’s a game of action-reaction: like playing chess with your body. The submission is the “checkmate.”
No One is Excluded Doesn’t matter if you are tall or short, fast or slow, skinny or strong, young or old, man or woman. Anyone can train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and still be really good at it. It’s just a matter of adapting your game to your abilities. For us, brain is more important than physical qualities.
I’m considering to engage into a Martial Arts School. What should I look for?
- First, you should understand your needs. Do you want to get in shape? Improve your self-confidence? Be disciplined? Be a champion? Define your goals, needs and wants.
- Consider what type of Martial Art you like most or you are interested in. If you have a chance, use the internet to learn about the differences of martial arts, its specialties, and philosophies.
- Notice that you start to narrow down your choices. Use the local newspaper, magazines and internet to make a list of the academies in your area.
- Keep in mind that: to be a martial arts practitioner you must be committed. It’s not like to visit a doctor. You have to come at least twice a week. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to the location. Is it close to you? How long do you have to drive?
- With a list, shop around. Know why the academy exist. And most important, what they can do for you. Are they going to help you achieve your goals? Do they ask about your needs?
- Don’t be intimidated. Make questions – even if sounds silly. The academy is going to be your third place – not home, not work or not school. You have to be comfortable to be yourself. And notice if the academy gave you room for that.
- Most of the academies offer a free class. Try-out.
At this point, you have enough information to decide. Good Luck.
Do I need to be in shape to start training Jiu-Jitsu?
We are proud to cater to all fitness levels here at Guillobel BJJ Academy and have many students whose exercise routines were limited or non-existent prior to joining the academy. Our team will ensure a progressive and gradual plan to help you acclimate to our programs while achieving your fitness goals.
Do I need to have prior experience?
No. You do not need to have practiced in any form of martial art to train at our academy.
What values do you preserve at Guillobel BJJ Academy?
We are deeply committed to reinforce in our students the values that come along with the philosophy of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (“gentle art”). Such as: gentleness, respect, self-discipline, brotherhood, leadership, courage, self-realization, perseverance, focus, integrity and loyalty. We truly believe that through the practice of BJJ, the student will have a healthier life style, less stress, more concentration, therefore a better and positive approach toward life and it’s challenges.
How can Guillobel BJJ Academy help me?
We understand that each one of our students and friends are unique on his/her own way. Our Academy does NOT works based on standards. Our goal is to empower you through:
- Personalized Approach;
- Hands On;
- Very Supportive and Familiar Environment;
- Small Classes;
- Best Quality Instruction;
- Proven Successful Programs;
- Highest quality teaching – like no other academy;
- Family Owned Business;
- Community Oriented.
Why is your price reasonable compare to other big chain academies?
Our academy is a family owned business, like the majority of businesses in San Clemente. That way, we don’t pass over you franchises fees, and at the same time, we ‘keep in tune’ with our so loved city. Our philosophy is to add to the community. We support and promote a win-win situation.